Everything You Need To Know About Brands of Rum
Rum is a type of liquor that has been around for centuries. It is made from sugar cane juice and has a unique flavor that can be enjoyed on its own or in cocktails. From its historical roots to its modern-day popularity, rum is a spirit that has something for everyone.
With different brands of rum available, it can be hard to know where to start. At Liquorama, we offer the best rum brands perfect for any occasion. Whether you're looking for a bold, aged rum to sip on or a smooth, blended rum for making piña coladas or other mixed drinks, we have everything you need when you are craving rum.
How Is Rum Made?
A rum's flavor profile is determined by where it was made and what type of cane sugar was used. Rum is typically made from rich molasses, a by-product of sugar production. To make rum, manufacturers first extract the sugar from the cane. They then boil the molasses to create a syrup. Once the syrup has cooled, yeast is added and the mixture is fermented.
After fermentation, the rum is distilled and then aged in oak casks. Although rum is most heavily produced in the Philippines, these barrels are usually made of American oak. The length of time that rum is aged will affect its flavor. Some rums are flavored with just a hint of spices or tropical fruit to create unique taste profiles, and some are fermented in heavily charred bourbon barrels or ex-bourbon barrels or ex-cognac casks to give them a noticeable, unique flavor. Many are even double-aged to reproduce a more high-quality rum, or a high-proof rum.
Complex rum and heavy-bodied rums have richer flavors, while lighter rums are perfect for mixing.
Types of Rum
There are many fine rums available on the market today. The most common types of rum include:
- Dark Rums: A dark rum is typically made from molasses and is aged in charred oak barrels. This type of rum has rich and complex flavors with brown sugar, caramel, and vanilla notes.
- Black Rums: A black rum is a dark rum, but a dark rum is not always a black rum. Black rums are not necessarily aged in barrels; some simply have additives to make their color darker.
- Light Rums: A light or white rum is usually made from sugarcane juice and has a crisp, clean taste. It is ideal for mixing in cocktails such as a piña colada or enjoyed on its own.
- Spiced Rums: Spiced rums are made with spice notes and stewed fruits that give them their unique flavor profile. Common spices used include cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Flavored Rums: Rum can also be flavored with fruits or other flavors to create a unique taste. Popular fruit flavors include pineapple, mango, and coconut.
We Carry the Rum Brands You Trust
When it comes to rum, we only carry the best. Whether you're looking for light rum, dark rum, or something in between, we have the perfect option for you. We also have a wide selection of flavored rums that can add a unique twist to your favorite cocktails. Some of the brands that we carry include:
- Kraken Black Spiced Rum
- Flor de Caña
- Koloa Hawaiian Kauai Coffee Rum
Liquorama is more than just a liquor store, it's your one-stop shop for the best rum brands. We have everything you need to make your next cocktail party a success.
Different types of rum we offer are:
- Caribbean rums
- Aged rums
- Light rums
- Rhum Agricole (sugarcane juice rums)
- Spiced rums
- Flavored rums
- Overproof rum
Besides a wide variety of the best rums, we also have many other hard-to-find alcohol selections at fair prices. Shop our selection today!